According to the ancient travel - writer Pausania...
Poros is comprised of two islands Sphairia and Kalavria
Kalavria means "gentle
Breeze"). Kalavria at first was offered
to the god Apollo
and he made it over to the god Poseidon in return
Kalavria is quite larger than Sphairia and is planted all over.
Sphairia is a volcanic rock.
In mythology times Aithra founded
in Sphairia the temple of Athena Apatoria in honor of her encounter
with the god Poseidon.
In the north part of the island
there are the ruins of Poseidon's Temple, which was built in 520BC.
The main Temple was built in Doric style, though some of
its columns were Ionian. Nearly the Temple there was the
built up area of Kalavria.
was the place's importance
that it functioned as the center
for the Amphictyonic League (amphictionnes:
a voluntary "cooperative"
city-states in both civic and religious matters, which included
Hermione, Epidauros, Aigina, Prassies, Athens and Orhomenos.
At the Poseidon's Temple came Demosthenes the
ancient great orator availing himself of its right
the King of Macedonia chased him.
played a significant
role in 1821 Revolution.
It was placed
on the map
of history in 1828 where rival assemblies met to
which set the Constitution
in a positive
In 1830 the building of
the shipyard and naval station
at Poros began.
arson of the armada
DIESEL or PETROL
EVENTS AT POROS ISLAND
WE CHOSE FOR YOU THE
BEST TAVERNS AND RESTAURANTS AT POROS