pass of Poros is magical surrounded by pine trees,
and lemon trees.
The beauty of this place has impressed and
has been praised
by prominent literary people
such as the nobelist
Giorgos Seferis, Kosmas Politis, Kostis
Palamas, Ioulia Dragoumi and the American writer Henry
of the houses of Poros
are samples of the neoclassical architecture.
One can distinguish
the Deimezi building made of grey and red
stone and Grivas'
shop, with its wide doors and the very beautiful
interior decoration. Villa Galini, among the most beautiful
houses of Poros, has hosted great personalities of the Arts
Korizi square there is the Archeological Museam of Poros which
is open to public
daily except Mondays,
from 9.00 am to 15.00
Findings from the excavations
of the Temple of Poseidon,
Ancient Trizina, Magoula, Apathia, Modi
and Saint Constantine
from Methana are displayed here.
One can also see the magnificent
wall paintings of Parthenis
the Saint George Cathedral
and visit the Public
the Eastern side it is worth visiting the Zoodochou
Pigi Monastery (18th century), built on
a green slope with a view to the sea.
With its picturesque ness,
it combines peace and simplicity.
At the entrance of the Monastery there is a famous spring with
healing properties which lies on the side of
a torrent, below
some huge plane trees. It was founded by the Metropolitan Bishop
both at his expense and
other various contributions.
monastery is surrounded
by tall and strong walls, without
any openings. There is only the central gate and the loopholes.
At the rectangular precinct,
there is the temple, the catholic
and the family tomb of Tombazis, Apostolis and the Admiral
from Hydra Miaoulis.
In general, the construction
is a sample of island
The temple is simple
without many wall paintings.
The precious wooden-curved icon, which was made in Kappadokia
of Asia Minor in the 17th C,
together with the wooden-curved iconostasis and the imposing
are of great interest.
The temple is a Basilica
type with a dome
and a tower - like bell - tower.
we reach the Temple of Posidon.
Few remains are felt today
from the Doric Temple
(6th century) made of blue
limestone with 34 columns.
This place was a sacred asylum
for fugitives and castaways.
5 kilometers towards the North
there are the ruins of the Russian Dockyard.
in 1834 warehouses
and bakeries were built for the supply
of the Russian fleet
sailing in the Aegean.
Russians kept this property
until the 1900s. since 1989,
with a Ministerial decision,
the Russian Dockyard has been
announced as a historical monument due to its
and historical interest.
ancient Trizina is known as the homeland of Thiseas
and it is one of the most interesting places
in Poros. All the archeological finds from ancient Trizina
in the archeological Museum. Continuing your way, a distance
of about 3 kilometer from Trizina
there is a place called "Vasiliki Tafi"
(The Royal cemetery).
This area has great interest
because of the archaeological
finds of the Mycenaean period.
we reach "Diavologefiro"
is an abrupt area in Poros
but famous for its wild beauty.
The visitors will have the
opportunity to enjoy the
The area is full of blooming
Here the river flows furiously through a deep
worth visiting area is the "Lemon Forest".
Lemon trees grow wild in Mediterranean climates and can be
by their tangy smell of fresh.
It is ideal
for romantic nice long walks as the sound of the running water
is wonderfully soothing.
" Aliki" and more
specifically at the eastern of the port
there is a small island called Bourtzi with
a small castle built in 1827
in order to protect the port.
The visitors will have the opportunity to see the castle's
thick, tall walls that still exist.